The platform i3F editorial rests on four foundation pillars:
- Development and reading documents in PDF format
- The use of web services and network queue
- The infrastructure for the Apple In App Purchase
- Web services using the editor
Let’s see in detail.
The basis of the reading of the documents is the PDF Reader. To understand the work that is behind this technology, we begin by making reference to that IOS provides its developers.
PDF support and ‘native support within the framework Quartz, the 2D graphics framework installed in Mac OS X and successfully brought in IOS. To understand the importance of PDF in operating systems from Apple, suffice it to say that PDF is not ‘seen as any output format, but in fact any view graphics in Mac OS X and IOS can’ be reproduced as a PDF, which in fact turns out to be the prince format for printing based on Quartz. This explains why ‘is in Mac OS X support for PDF in Ios, both inbound and outbound, and’ natural and does not require the installation of external software (as is the case in Windows, where the input requires ‘installation of Adobe Reader, the output requires the use of appropriate plug-in).
That said, this’ does not mean that things are easy. In fact, the support provided by iOS is essentially limited to the possibility ‘to’ read ‘and understand a PDF file, but only to the functions of rendering on paper or video, while the interpretation of all other data (outline, thumbnails, annotations, etc. .) and ‘left to the programmer.
The PDF reader that comes with the app produced by i3F Editorial and ‘continuous work in progress, subject to continuous improvements and support of new possibilities’. Currently it offers the following features’ base:
– Support for iPhone and iPad
– Fast rendering of the page in portrait format (horizontal) and landscape (vertical, two-page spread), with caching for faster performance
– No limit on the number of pages supported (or at least no limit in addition to any provided by the platform IOS)
– Completely based on the rendering engine of IOS, so no surprises in the transition of the application across several operating system versions
– Loading thumbnails in multi-threading
– Mini-thumbnail (style iBooks)
– Function scrubbing of the page (with display of page number and / or thumbnail)
– Pre-loading outline (table of contents with all its hierarchical structure) and the comments (link)
– Intra-document annotation (jump page), and to external links
– In addition to standard support of external links (http:and mailto: within the application, any other url patterns to other app installed by the user, eg skype:) support links owners to stream video directly by the JPA and for displaying photo galleries, and this ‘means that the publisher will be’ able to create multimedia packages (PDF + multimedia) simply by defining the links within its graphical tool that generates the PDF, without having to weigh and implement all the technical complications due to the inclusion of media files directly into PDF (Recall that Quartz does not support these types of files, effectively ruling out this information.) Support for these links and ‘gradually increasing.
– Save the last page viewed (auto-bookmarks)
The interface defined by the library i3F Editorial is based on some commonly accepted standard templates (eg shelf covers iBooks style, window style or covers in the App Store), although i3F Editorial is a software package but a team of designers and developers able to implement any request is made by the user. The iPad and ‘a formidable creative platform, so they are well liked editors who want to bring this creativity’ even within applications.
What is ‘common hand and’ the technical aspect behind this approach. Currently, the composition of the publisher of the archive, and library users, are contained in files (in various formats, depending on the complexity ‘of the archive, ranging from XML to JSON actual SQLite database to , the most ‘complex). The files can be managed entirely by the editor through our web platform and can be installed on servers hosted by the owners or i3factory (which in turn uses deemed reliable provider ‘). At any time the publisher and ‘capable of varying the composition of its stock and make it instantly with a single click, after pre-testing always possible publication through our applications.
Once the file is defined, the application tries to start the last update was available. From this moment on, each publication can ‘overcome several states in the shop (if paid), to download (for free or if already’ purchased) to be installed, to read. The passage of these states and ‘carried out safely and fully multi-threaded: that’ means that you can ‘interact with the application (or even suspend it if the download) without having to wait for the download of the entire package. In addition, the media can be packaged into a single file – in this case, however, ‘the download time will be’ more ‘long – or can be downloaded on demand (this is where the media are considered optional to the use of the product).
In App Purchase
Following the latest news ‘introduced by Apple in the rules for approval of applications and content for a fee, we provide as a single solution for the purchase of In App Purchase, namely the ability’ to purchase publications via App Store (remember that these transactions Apple holds 30% of the price charged to the customer).
In any case i3factory and ‘willing to provide solutions to purchase additional wholesale App Purchase, based on external websites provided by the publisher. These solutions are not provided as standard and should be agreed from time to time, this peche ‘need’ from time to time consider all the complex ‘due to the security of transactions and payments made via the web. I3F does not make any kind of support on different forms of payment from the App Store, which will then be dealt with by the customer: in such cases will deal i3F ‘integration within the application only.
Web services for the publisher
The publisher will be ‘able to manage the archive of publications via web interface, based on standard Web 2.0 methodologies. This interface will allow ‘:
– The inclusion of new publications
– The definition of links and multimedia content loading
– Archive management (edit, delete, categorize and tested)
– The ability ‘to temporarily remove from sale certain publications
– Anti-hacking encrypted transactions
Recall that due to the presence of In App Purchase, sale prices and any content will be replicated within the service iTunesConnect Apple. By regulation we can not provide solutions that automate this task.
The entire package will be ‘provided in self-installing package based on PHP and requires the minimum server software support and which we believe is standard in the grand total’ of the equipment required to a publisher.